Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A small victory for gay adoption

All this talk of gay marriage and gay adoption just makes me sick. I suppose this too shall pass and one day we will have equal rights along with women and minorities. Okay, maybe they aren’t exactly equal but they have come a long way from the 1920’s or 1960’s. That being said, that one day I can look foward to having equal rights, well that doesn’t help me right now. One day I would like to marry the person I love and have children, most likely adopt as in vitro fertilization is crazy expensive. Maybe I could adopt from India, I saw that once on Oprah. I’m veering off topic.
So, I try not to think about it but I won’t say it doesn’t hurt when I hear another state explicitly bans gay marriage. Now they are talking of banning gays from adopting as well. One bright spot from the strictest state on gay adoption, gays had a victory in Florida yesterday when a judge ruled the ban unconstitutional. Florida is the only state to have an outright ban on gay adoption. Utah prohibits adoption by any unmarried couple or individual. And while Mississippi does not explicitly ban gay and lesbian individuals from adopting, it does prohibit adoption by same-sex couples. The state of Florida has already vowed to appeal and this case will likely end up in front of the Florida Supreme Court. Now that the states have almost completely banned gay marriage in the U.S. (it is outright illegal in 45 states) they are moving on to gay adoption as next on their agenda. I just want to live in a place where I have the same rights as everyone else! Why is that not an option in America? Because the Bible tells us so?

No comments: