Friday, December 12, 2008

Day Without a Gay

Wednesday evening I went to my first rally. December 10th was labeled as Day Without a Gay. The idea is to call in to work to volunteer with your local LGBT communities and not make any purchases to protest the passage of anti-gay constitutional amendments in Arizona, Florida, and California. I didn't have to work that day but I did have to go to school. It was my last day of class and I had to take an exam. The rally was in front of city hall from 5:30-6:30 p.m. It was freezing! I attended with my gay roommate and straight roommate. I don’t know how many people were there, less than I expected but it was very cold so I’m assuming that’s what kept some of them home.


There were a number of speakers and we learned some cool chants and for the first time I realized how much this issue really affects me. Maybe because I’m getting older and realized that yes, I would like to be married some day. I guess I always assumed I would have some sort of ceremony resembling a wedding but never even considered having the same rights as married couples. I was just content with that as my fate. Now that this issue of gay rights, my rights, is being renewed I am very happy to participate and hopefully see a big change in my lifetime. Well we have already seen changes in a few states. I just don’t know why everyone doesn’t think the Constitution applies to gay people.

No comments: